Friday, January 27, 2006

Knitting Plans

The best part about having my parents do my taxes is that I get my tax return that much sooner. I'm saving money to go see my younger sister over Easter vacation (she's in Ireland for the semester -- and is currently regaling me with stories of thousands of "walking yarn stores" all over the place!), but between my tax return and my financial aid refund check, I actually have money with which to buy yarn!

My resolution, however, was not to buy any yarn for the month of January. My lovely Secret Pal sent me a gift certificate to a lovely eBay store, Yarnbow, so I don't feel guilty using that to buy my yarn for one of my future projects -- the infamous Clapotis.

Now, my sister being abroad has had some unexpected benefits! Not only is she within walking distance of stores filled with affordable Rowan and Debbie Bliss yarns, she's now my excuse for stash-enhancing! My plan is to send her at least one hand-knitted item a month (at least) while she's abroad. The present for January? A Branching Out scarf in the yarn of her choice. I refuse to analyze her decision to use acrylic yarn over Frog Tree Alpaca Sport, but at least the acrylic is working up nicely. The pattern is crisply defined, so the impossibility of blocking the scarf won't hurt the quality of the work.

Now that Christmas knitting is over, I'm starting to plan what I'm going to knit this year. These plans are subject to change, and probably will about seven or eight times as the months go by, but as of this moment, here are the first of my 2006 knitting plans.

1.The Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics: My choice of projects was Interweave Knits' Union Square Market Pullover. I haven't made a sweater since I knit the Lace Leaf Pullover for my mother, but I knit that in stages over, oh, about four months. The challenge in knitting the USMP will be doing so in sixteen days, while being in school full-time. It's destined to join my sister in Ireland.
Image hosting by Photobucket

2. Marnie MacLean's Halley's Comet Hat: I found the pattern for this hat through Grumperina's blog. I plan on making this for my good friend Mack, who is fleeing the country for a year abroad in Australia.

3. Eunny's absolutely gorgeous Deep V Vest: The more I read Eunny's blog, the more impressed I become with her work. She just had the most amazing series of entries on steeking, and I'm eager to try this pattern so I can cut my steek teeth.

4. Grumperina's Jaywalker Socks: Enough said.

5. Norwegian Knee Socks from Folk Socks by Nancy Bush: Personally, I think these are just about the cutest socks of all time. My mom bought me the book for my birthday and is mailing it to me today -- I'll get started on these as soon as the Knitting Olympics are over.

A non-project-specific goal for 2006 is to get one of my designs published in one of the many knitting publications out there. I've been designing and swatching my rear end off -- hopefully, something will come of it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

I'm doing the knitting olympics too. I can't wait to get started!

That is so cool your sister can get so much yarn. I am jealous :).

1:18 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Knitting olympics sound fun, I've been debating about doing it myself. It must be great to have someone over there who could get you so much yarn. I have a friend who lives in Ireland, I really should talk to her about some yarn, lol.

I have a question though, where did you find the little percent bars at? I've been looking online and can't seem to figure out where everyone is getting them from.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I love all of those projects. I'll be rooting for you and the USMP during the Olympics. You're sister is too lucky to be around all that great, inexpensive yarn.

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home