Monday, March 27, 2006

Stash-Enhancing Joys

Friday was such a successful excursion! I love A Good Yarn more every time I visit. Tee is visiting BU for grad school this Saturday, so I might take another trip out there to visit again.

...not like I need to, after the orgy of stash-enhancing that occured on Friday. After walking about 800 miles, Mom and I were exhausted, happy, and more than a little amazed that we had spent an entire day in each other's company and not come to blows.

I know that sounds more than a little extreme, but back when I was trying to survive puberty, I was a monster. My mother and I fought constantly, bitterly...you get the picture. We fought for the sake of fighting. Finally, I graduated, I went to college and I started to grow up. I've always loved my mom, but for a long time, I was too cool to like her. I cringe to think about it now.

I guess I have knitting to thank, in part, for letting us get so close. She taught me how to knit during my sophomore year of college and I've never looked back. Now, it's a tradition that, whenever I go home to visit, we rent BBC miniseries (Jane Austen adaptations are always popular) and knit for hours. I mean hours. We talk now, instead of yelling, and we have inside jokes about British actors and bad accents. I just came back to Amherst yesterday, and I wish I was back upstairs, knitting with Mom. For once, I'm glad I'm homesick.

Handcrafts are uniquely fulfilling; they bring groups of such dissimilar people together, but the crafts also serve to connect the crafter with everyone who's knit a sweater, sewn a quilt, or cooked a meal. When you craft, you are both making progress and living in history.

I saved all of my babysitting money since January, so I wouldn't feel guilty about splurging. And splurge I did, without shame!

100_3896


From Windsor Button, I got Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn -- this fiber feels like melted butter in the skein. I can't wait to see how it knits up!

Cherry Tree Hill

The blue yarn is for my mom -- I think I'll make Craftaholic's Mata Hari socks with it. The other skeins? For me, of course!


As I've said before (and will probably say a million times again), A Good Yarn is a lovely, lovely store. I indulged my craving for Koigu there.

Koigu again.

I could have spent more; in fact, I spent much less than I was planning to, but I'm content. I have patterns in mind for all the sock yarns I bought, but with the money I didn't spend, I'm going to buy my dream knitting bag from Della Q.

Progress pictures tonight! I hope everyone's enjoying the Spring weather!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Yarn splurge! Looks like you had fun! I understand what you're saying about your mom because I went through the same experience with my Dad. I agree that you appreciate your parents more when you get older.

6:06 AM  
Anonymous JessaLu said...

I love that sock yarn - I own DellaQ's Black & White and Red all over bag and carry it everywhere (and get lots of complements). ;o)

I understand your experience with your mom on two levels - first, I was a horrible teen and second, at 34 I am the mother of a 16 yr old girl. Who takes after her mother ;o) (if you notice the math there you'll see that she is the product of me being a horrible teen and no, thank God she doesn't take after me so much that I'll be a grandma before I'm 40).

Can't wait to see all your stash photos!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home